Friday 16 March 2012

The Pros and Cons of Reusable Diapers


Bummis Easy Fit Diaper

My husband and I decided to use reusable diapers because my sister in law had used them and had a great experience. Our diaper of choice was Bummis Easy Fit Diaper because they have a built in liner and adjustable size, so they will be suitable while baby grows and are convenient and easy to use. Also, you can add an extra liner for overnight needs. The cost savings alone are convincing. Buying a decent supply of diapers could run you $500 or more but the savings in the long run are staggering. We couldn't use them until my daughter was 6 weeks old and those weeks the cost of using disposable diapers was a shocking $200.

I do have a few issues with using these diapers. First of all, you can only put so much liquid in a cloth diaper before it begins to leak. I have found that by morning my daughter is quite wet. I decided to not do a diaper change in the middle of the night because baby would wake right up. She is not wet during the late night feedings, and it does not appear to effect her sleep in the early morning, so its just a little messy when she wakes up. I started playing around with the folds in order to get more support up her back, but it doesn't appear to help. I have found that due to my daughters size (she is very long and lean,) the diaper will fit in the tummy area but has gaps around the legs. She has started to build up the chubbiness in her legs, but not enough to create a proper seal.

My little monkey at 6 weeks old
Overall I like these diapers, as they save me lots of money in the long run and they will last a very long time. Also the colors and patterns are adorable!!! However, I wish I had tried a sample pack of different kinds so that I could have found the proper fit.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me reduce these leaks?



No comments: